There’s a lot of history to this area of Harpenden. This is what Wikipedia has to say about Batford, formerly a village but now part of Harpenden town – though Wikipedia seems to retain it’s village status! It officially became part of Harpenden in 1935.
Batford is a village in Hertfordshire, England located on the River Lea on the outskirts of Harpenden. “Batford Springs” is a local nature reserve alongside the river and the village green which has a small play area for children. The large red brick building at the southern end of the village between the river and the Lower Luton Road was originally a water mill, it is now used as offices and the river has been diverted around the building. Batford Methodist Church was built in 1905 and shows the distinctive “modern” architecture of that time.
During WW2 a large prisoner of war camp was located in Batford adjoining what is now Common Lane and prisoners were present there until about 1947. When they had gone, the camp buildings were used to house local people who were waiting for housing which was in short supply at the time. Within a few years, a large housing estate was built on the site of the POW camp by the local authority.
Batford has a Tesco Express/filling station, a Co-op supermarket, a fish and chip shop, 2 pubs, an Indian takeaway and various other shops and small factory units.
There are a number of interesting pages that give some history to the area.
Harpenden History website:
Memories of living in the Thatched Cottage
Batford Mill photo
Batford and POW camp
Ackroyd General Store, now housing next to hairdressers
Sauncey Wood Primary (then Batford JMI)